Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Sixers: Defeated in 2008

At least there were people in the stands. The attendance is listed at 17, 046. More than have been there in a long time.

The Sixers lost a close one, 100-97, to the Bulls last night. But those numbers are deceiving. Philly jumped out to a 16-point lead in the first quarter. While the hot play continued, I was not content. Instead, I said to my dad, "How long until the Bulls come back?" Chicago led 45-40 at the half. The lead continued to swell in the second half until a late Sixers rally nearly brought them back to steal one they should've held onto from the beginning.

What struck me as strange was this: the Sixers obviously needed a three. It was a two-possession game for much of the last minute of play, yet no one stepped up and took the shot. The players kept driving. Granted, they were scoring which is good. But two points in that situation just is not enough. Know who would've taken that shot? I don't need to answer that question for you. You can answer it yourselves, and then remember that now he plays for the Utah Jazz.

Again, a good overall game. But not quite good enough. The loss marks the sixth in a row for Philly, who is still yet to win in the calendar year 2008. A positive -- the team scored 97 points!

Stat Line:
- Andre Iguodala: 25 points, 5 assists, 4 steals
- Sammy Dalembert: 21 points, season-high 20 rebounds
- Andre Miller: 20 points
- Reggie Evans: 13 rebounds
- Lou Williams: 15 points, 2 steals


Observations:

- Ben Gordon took a hard fall (he slipped-- no malice.) and lost the ball. Everyone in the Wachovia Center heard him hit the floor. It was LOUD-- it had to hurt. Andre Iguodala, being a competitor, picked up the loose ball and dunked. Matt Cord confusedly (not a word? Is now.) announced the bucket. Ig did what we all probably would have, with the presence of mind to know the ball was live and his team needed points. I was just shocked because here's this guy on the floor, and there's Andre with the bucket. The scene was strange.

- Andre Iguodala was wearing a back brace. So he's hurting, but no word on what the actual problem is.

- Reggie Evans is an interior player. HE CANNOT MAKE LAYUPS FOR THE LIFE OF HIM.

- Free throws were horrible last night. 26-37. Team can't miss 11 freebies.

- The box score says the Sixers turned the ball over 15 times. I beg to differ. There had to be more than that. The team just played sloppy basketball.

- The Sixers just don't hustle anymore. This is something that, I admit, I should have noticed long before last night. When Allen Iverson was on the team, he and everyone else spent a great deal of the game on the floor diving for loose balls. Now, there is hardly an effort. When I realized this last night, it really bothered me. A whole lot. The whole make-up and demeanor of this team has changed so much in a little over a year. It breaks my heart. And I don't say that sarcastically, because I am very attached to this team.

- My dad made a great point on the way home from the game last night. This team is very close to giving up and packing it in. He thinks they'll call it quits after the All-Star Break, and I couldn't agree more. Watch this team play. Find me the hope. Find me the drive, the desire, the will to win. Find it for me, please, and then tell me where it is.

- I wish Pat Croce would take over again.

POST-KORVER RECORD: 1-7

No comments:


Google